We’re not talking about pumping iron at the gym. We’re talking about the iron that should be pumping through your blood. Iron is involved in various bodily functions so is an important mineral. It transports oxygen in the blood and is essential for providing energy for your day-to-day life.
IMPORTANT ROLES OF IRON
- Transporting oxygen - Haemoglobin, in red blood cells, makes up about two thirds of the body’s iron. Haemoglobin carries oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body.
- Haemoglobin is partly made from iron. It makes up about two thirds of the body’s iron.
- Myoglobin - Iron is in myoglobin, which is responsible for the red colour of muscles.
- Myoglobin helps store oxygen in muscle cells.
- Enzymes – Enzymes are involved in energy production by acting as a catalyst for many cell functions. Many of your body’s enzymes contain iron.
- Immunity - Sufficient iron is required for proper functioning of the immune system, which helps us fight infections.
Boost: Vitamin C, animal protein with plant sources of iron, cooked plant sources of iron.
Your doctor may advise you to take iron supplements if your iron levels are depleted.
This can easily be checked by a blood test. There are some common side effects of iron supplements, including:
- Dark coloured poop. Don’t be alarmed by this change to your bowel habits, it’s the most common side effect.
- Nausea, vomiting, constipation and diarrhoea. It can take the body time to adjust to an increase in iron. Generally speaking, treatment involves lowering the recommended dose for a short time but seek your doctor’s advice first.
- Supplements should be taken exactly as advised by your doctor, and ideally on an empty stomach. If you take more than the recommended dose, you could poison yourself because the human body isn’t very good at excreting iron.
Ethical Nutrients Mega Iron with Activated B Vitamins contains enhanced absorption Meta Fe, easily absorbed iron, scientifically formulated with a complex of supporting ingredients vitamin C, B6, B12 and folate for a multi-action effect, it's also vegan friendly.